Monday, November 8, 2010

Week 1

I've been a sports fan for as long as I can remember.  A big one.  My earliest sports memories were from when I lived in Holladay, Utah watching a Utah Jazz vs. Boston Celtics game on TV with my parents.  I was somewhere from 2-4 years old in this time period.  I remember seeing my Dad laying on the ground, my Mom on the couch, and both were yelling at the T.V.  From that point in time I've been some might say a bit obsessive with sports.  I love them.  I've always wanted my chance to share my opinions with others.  Splitting the D was created so I could do so.
This weeked was an interesting one.  I'm currently attending Snow College in Ephraim, Utah which is about 2 1/2 hours south of Salt Lake.  I bought a ticket to the Utah vs. TCU game this week and sat with my brother in the MUSS.  It was an interesting game for me.  It was my first D. I college football game since I've been home from a 2 year break from American sports.  I was very impressed with Utah's crowd.  I thought the crowd was awesome, and was probably the best crowd I've ever seen at ANY sporting event I've ever attended.  My voice was gone before the game even started, and there were no empty seats, 15 minutes before the game even started.  It had the atmosphere of a BCS game.  I remember going to the Fiesta on Dec. 31 and Jan. 1 2004-05.  There were a lot of similar festivities and activities before the game.  The hype was there, as were College Gameday, and ESPN radio. 
It started out at the tailgate party for the MUSS, and I got 1 number off on the raffle to win sideline passes for the whole game.  That would have been fun being down by Utah greats such as, but not limited to Ben Moa, Alex Smith, and Jamal Anderson.  After that we saw the crazy accordion guy singing "Utah Man Sir" in a polka style.  Never seen, or heard the likes of that.  I probably never will again for the rest of my life either.  It was fun!  Not something I'd like to see every day though.  After that we entered into the line, and Scott, Aaron and I started talking about how it's too bad to see the Utah, BYU rivalry get as bad as it's going to be next year.  I've had some great memories with this rivalry.  Some of my best sports memories have come from it.  There have been some absolute classic games in this rivalry.  The conference championship has been decided in this rivalry game.  Next year, Utah and BYU will be in different conferences (actually BYU won't even be in a conference), and the game is going to be played in the 3rd game of the season, right after Utah plays USC in L.A.  Those 2 factors are going to change the shape of this rivalry.  BYU fans get mad at Utah for leaving and going to the Pac-12.  But honestly, if BYU had the decision it would have done the same thing.  It would be stupid NOT to accept actually. 
Anyway, we were talking about it and a drunk guy in front of us heard it.  He turned around and made some...interesting points.  He said, "who needs BYU anyway.  I'd rather have a rivalry with Utah State.  It's a nicer drive.  It's a nicer place to play in, and...who needs BYU anyway?  I mean do you know what the 5th place bowl is for the Pac-12?"  To which I responded, "The Las Vegas Bowl."  "Exactally.  Who needs BYU anyway.  Instead of going to Laramie, Albuquerque, San Diego.  Well San Diego is a nice place, but they don't have fans.  But we're going to be getting the sun, going to the beach and the Oregon coast.  We get the Sun Bowl..." I jumped in, "The Rose Bowl."  He looked shocked, and said, "Oh no you di-ent!"  "Oh yes I did!"  That was definitely one of the funniest things I saw all day.  Almost as funny as seeing Jordan Wynn trying to pick apart the TCU defense...oh boy.
We got into the game, the MUSS was ready, the whole crowd (with exception of the visitors section) was decked out in black.  I was stoked.  I never felt like Utah was going to win this game.  I never made any predictions because my head, and heart got a little confused.  But once the game started, and Andy Dalto and TCU marched right down the field for their 1st touchdown I knew we were in trouble.  That whole 1st drive the crowd was excited, and loud.  Loudest crowd I've ever heard.  Gary Patterson said before the game that he wanted to take the crowd out of it early.  That's exactally what they did.  I also told my brother before the game that if Utah wanted to have a chance, the crowd would have to stay in it.  I told him we couldn't let TCU score on their first 2 posessions...which they did, and successfully took the crowd out of the game.
Everything was going TCU's way.  There were at least 3 missed pass interference, 3 holdings, and 2 blocks in the back that I saw that should have gone against TCU.  They got a couple of lucky bounces (i.e. fumble recovered 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and returned for a td).  Jordan Wynn played horribly, and even got booed by home fans.  I don't remember the last time I saw a QB performance as bad as Wynn's last.  In my opinion Terrance Cain never should have lost his starting job.  The guy is a winner.  He is 10-0 as a starter.  What more can you ask for?  He started 2 games this season, and made some pinpoint passes.  Perfect passes.  Why isn't he starting?  I appreciate Kyle Whittingham thinking about the future.  But is the future enough of a reason (or excuse) to forget about the now?  Why did he not put Cain in?  I don't see ANY logic behind it.  So really there were a couple of things that really needed to be better in this game.  1-Reffering (I realize that the missed calls they didn't make weren't going to make a difference, but they missed a couple of blatent ones), 2-Quarterbacking (Wynn isn't the man.  I've never been a fan, and he proved why I shouldn't be a fan in this last game) 3-Coaching (TERR-ANCE CAIN!  TERR-ANCE CAIN) 4-Utah's tackling, 5-Utah's receiving.  Wynn wasn't playing well at all, but whenever he did make a good throw, it seemed like his receivers, I won't mention names *cough DeVonte Christopher cough* wouldn't make the catch, or would fumble.  TCU played their very best game, and Utah played it's very worst.
In the end I had a great time.  I really did.  We danced the rest of the game away, heckled as only true fans can, and laughed our stinkin' guts out.  I'm glad I could make my way up to see the biggest game (and letdown) in Utah history.
After that I came home, plopped down on the couch after dancing the ride home away with my bro, and decided to watch some Jazz basketball...much to my dismay they were down 18, to the Clippers, at home.  Yes you read that right.  Long story short, the Jazz come from behind to win in 2 OT.  I'm happy the Jazz got the "W".  I really am.  A win is never ever a bad thing.  However, as most "Jazz fans" celebrated, I wasn't as happy.  There were a couple of really disappointing, and even disgusting facts about this game to me.  Let's review.  1-The Jazz were down 18 points to the Clippers.  To me, and Jerry Sloan I'm sure that is not acceptable at all.  The Clippers!  I understand they have Eric Gordon, and Blake Griffin, but the Jazz are clearly the more talented team, and always have been.  2-The Jazz were down 18 points to the Clippers AT HOME!  We claim to have a great home-court advantage; I still think we do, but at home?  That's rough.  3-It took the Jazz OT to beat the Clippers at home.  Really?  4- It took the Jazz 2 OT to beat the Clippers at home.  5-We gave up the lead that we regained late in the game to let the Clippers come back.  The Clippers were making big plays (i.e. Eric Gordon's hammer dunk down the lane to tie it up), but also the Jazz just didn't look excited to play.  Our defense was really bad IMHO, but there were a couple of bright points about the game as well.  1- Paul Millsap is the man.  He truly is emerging to be an NBA star, and arguably one of the best 4's in the game right now.  I can't say how impressed I am with the overlooked 2nd round draft pick.  One of Kevin O' Connor's best moves EVER.  2- Andrei started getting into a rhythm.  He is the 6th highest paid player in the NBA.  Better start playing like it.  3- The Jazz showed they can come from behind, and 4-we can win close games.  I'm hoping the Jazz are just in a slump right now.  I'm hoping that Memo can make a difference as well when he comes back.  One things for sure, something's got to change with the way we are playin ball.  We've got Miami (in South Beach) tomorrow, followed up by other strong teams in the East, Orlando, and Atlanta, after which we get the lowly Bobcats.  The who's who of former NCAA stars.  This trip will show a lot about the Jazz.  Should be interesting seeing how we match up against the Miami "Threet", and how Big Al and our low post game matches up against the manchild Dwight Howard.  I'm looking forward to it, but I don't expect the Jazz to get more than 2 wins on this trip.
On a brighter note, the Snow College Badgers did beat Phoenix CC this last weekend to solidify the conference championship for the billionth year in a row!  They are in a 2-way tie with the Gauchos of Arizona Western for 1st place.  Congrats!  I'm excited to see the game this weekend against the conference champion from the scenic northwest of the U.S. of A., then to see them in the ever-so prestigious Top of the Mountians Bowl at Rio Tinto Stadium!
Anyone see that hit on Austin Collie?  Man...he must have done something really unrighteous this time.  He has had a great year though.  Clean hit too.  Hmmph!
Thanks for reading this weeks edition!  I'm out!  Be excellent to each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment